We invite contributions for an edited volume "Human-Animal Interactions in the Global Context of Climate Change, Disasters, and Other Crises".
This handbook will be a comprehensive text addressing human-animal interactions (HAIs) in the context of climate change and climate-induced disasters. The climate crisis increases in the frequency, scope, and magnitude of climate-induced disasters that affect human beings and their co-inhabitants (animals) on our shared planet. HAIs, also known as human–animal relationships, bonds, attachments, connections, and so on, can provide various health, social, and cultural benefits, supporting human-centred efforts within an entire disaster cycle through the human-animal-environment nexus.
At this point of seeking your interest in contributing a chapter, we are encouraging creative responses to our invitation, including suggestions of co-authors with whom you may wish to partner. If you are keen to join us in this endeavour, we are requesting you fill out this Qualtrics survey by September 15, 2023. The survey includes a draft title, an abstract (250 words maximum), your contact information, and the foci of your chapters, such as type(s) of animal (e.g., companion animals, agricultural animals), stage(s) of disaster and emergency management cycle (e.g., preparedness, emergency response, and mitigation), and geographic location(s) (e.g., North America, Eastern Asia, and Oceania). The final chapter will be no more than 6000 words (including references) and we will send out the author guidelines upon acceptance of your titles and abstracts. In particular, we are keen to see the representation of Indigenous perspectives and social and cultural diversity within the contributing chapters.
The temporary timeline is:
- Draft title and abstract submitted by September 15, 2023
- Decision on acceptance of title and abstract by September 30, 2023
- Final Book Proposal submitted to Palgrave Macmillan by September 30, 2023
- 1st draft of chapter by December 31, 2023
- 1st round reviews back to authors by February 29, 2024
- Revised chapter submitted by April 30, 2024
- 2nd round reviews back to authors by May 31, 2024
- Final draft of chapter submitted by June 30, 2024
- Full manuscript delivered to Routledge July 31, 2024